Are you in love with collecting antiques? Antiques, those glorious one of a kind finds, give your home style, and help you create a place that expresses yourself and your style.
You know what you like. It has to have a story. It has to have quality. Personality. Maybe be a little quirky and out of the ordinary, reminding you of that afternoon in Paris, when a downpour made you run into that little shop filled with antiques.
Well read and well traveled, with a curiosity about the world, we antique collectors know what we like. But why do we collect antiques? For some of us it’s the connection with history. Some of us collect antiques to learn, and the joy of owning and preserving them for future generations. Some of us adore the thrill of the hunt, the “heirloom” quality and see our collections as an investment.
Here are five reasons we love to collect antiques.
1. Antiques whisper stories of the past. Antiques allow us to connect with history, and the people that went before us. Not just a living record of generations of the past, the sheer quality of the art, jewelry, glass, silver, furniture and linens from past centuries is amazing.
The skill and incredible workmanship our ancestors poured into the items they used daily, or reserved for special occasions, are so beautiful. Maybe a particular collection stirs our heart with wonderful memories of childhood, our grandparents, or a time in life we were surrounded by antiques that we look back on with great love.
2. Antique invite exploration. Antiques have the ability to capture our imagination, so much so that we want to learn about their origin, history, as well as the people who made the item and who used it, and how.
3. Antiques bring beauty to our daily lives. Your home should reflect the way you live, your passions, and evolve with your personal style. Shopping for antiques for your home is fun, creating a space surrounded by beautiful things you love is one of the best ways to express your own style and improve your quality of life.
4. Antiques are an investment. Antiques are valued commodities. Many antique items double nicely as investments, silver, jewelry, furniture, majolica, hand made lace and linens, all generally increase in value as their availability decreases and antiques become more rare to find.
Sharing antique collections with others, sharing your passion for antiques by lending your collection to a museum, or sharing it with your family and friends in your home is one of the greatest gifts you can give – sharing your passion with others.
5. Antiques survive. Meant to last and become heirlooms to hand down to children and grandchildren, even an antique French towel is a work of art. Antiques often suffer dings and scratches, they are mostly used in homes by families, and that is what I love most about them.
They are survivors, and their “imperfectness” tells their story. A few bumps and chips along the way only seems to add to their patina and beauty.
Collecting antiques provides a lifelong opportunity to explore, learn, and find beauty and pleasure. It’s a journey, filled with the joys of a pastime that you can enjoy your whole life.
Don’t know where to start? Think about what you love. What you want to see and appreciate every day, what makes your heart beat faster, brings you joy just by looking at it, and will add beauty to your everyday life.
When you find a piece that speaks to your imagination, its a treasure that you will cherish. I encourage you to really think about what you love, and surround yourself with antique objects that make you smile each time you see them.
What antiques do you love to collect?
Shop for the best in French Antiques, furniture with the patina of age, vintage accessories to delight you and your family & friends, and French Country utilitarian pieces. Treasures that make your home fresh, beautiful, inspirational and uniquely yours. Visit our shop FrenchGardenHouse.com.